NHRMC Wrightsville Beach Marathon Relay 26.2
(Up to 4 Relay Members)
Saturday March 9th, 2019
Start time 6:40AM
Start: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Finish: University of North Carolina at Wilmington
With a peak elevation of only 32ft, the New Hanover Regional Medical Center Wrightsville Beach Marathon Madness is fast, flat and notorious for personal bests. Combined with the huge bonus of the race being an USATF certified qualifier, it’s no surprise why this marathon attracts a healthy variety of runners—from first timers to veterans—and sells out fast.
The 2019 Full Marathon will really give you a glimpse of what Wrightsville Beach and Wilmington offer. The new course starts at the beach and runs through Landfall and finishes at the UNCW Campus. Your families and friends will have the opportunity to see you in action five to eight times as you run, with the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway as your backdrop. The NCAA basketball tourney kicks off in March off as well, so we’ll have college-themed cheer stations with DJs, bands and spectator hot spots.
Picture yourself on the course running strong and relaxed. We’ll see you out there!
Relays are split up into 3 divisons: ALL MALE TEAM, ALL FEMALE TEAM and COED TEAM
1 team winner from each division will be awarded
There are 3 relay handoffs and 2 relay exchange zones.
Exchange Zone A
Runner 1 to Runner 2
Runner 2 to Runner 3
Exchange Zone B
Runner 3 to Runner 4
The first exchange A will be in a sectioned off area on your right just after you cross the Heide Trask Drawbridge. This exchange approaches quickly so all first runners be prepared to get on the right side of the road after you cross the bridge. Runner 1 will be heading West toward this exchange for the first handoff, and Runner 2 will be heading east toward this exchange for the 2nd handoff.
The 2nd exchange B is about 200 yards away on the east side of the bridge across from Causeway Cafe. If you GPS Causeway Cafe, you will be right where you need to be. You will see the pennant line, aid station and the medical station. At exchange zone B, runner 3 will handoff to runner 4.
A few things to keep in mind:
#1 You are responsible for getting to and from your aid station
#2 You can park anywhere that has legal parking. There is no direct parking at each exchange zone, but there is parking near by that is within jogging distance.
#3 At the first exchange area, be prepared to have to step on and off a curb to get in and out of the exchange
#4 You can run with a teammate on a leg if you wish
#5 The last runner is responsible for getting all of the medals for the team at the finish. Just let the volunteer know that you are a relay team by your orange bib and they should give you the appropriate amount of medals. Please only take enough for your team. If you have 2 teammates, please only take 2 medals
Parking for the relay exchange: there is no parking at either exchange. Relay teams must park and jog over to the exchange. There are two places we recommend parking.
- Harris Teeter on Eastwood Rd: 1940 Eastwood Rd, Lumina Commons, Wilmington, NC 28403
- Bluewater Parking lot (over the WB drawbridge): 5 Marina St Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480
Athletes are responsible for getting to and from the relay exchange.
The exchange is 1/2 mile from the start.
There will be bathrooms and water at the exchange. Be prepared with warm clothes, clothes for the weather, and nutrition.
Click Map to Zoom into Relay Legs and Exchanges
Leg #1 2.5 Mile
Leg #2 8.5miles
Leg #3 6 miles
Leg #4 9.2 miles Relay Exchange
Event Day Information
Official Start: 6:40AM
Race Day Bag Check
We cannot take responsibility for lost items, but we will have a van to take bags or leftover clothing to the finish line. We do not give participants bags to check, participants are responsible for checking their own homemade bags and we will transport them to the finish.
Packet Pick Up
Marathoners are responsible for picking up their packet before the race. Please note that these are the only times you can get your packet. If you are unable to make it, a friend or family member may pick it up for you. 1 member from each relay team may pick up a team’s packet. You can also have your packet mailed to you for $25.00. Purchase this by February 1st from our online store.
Where: Burney Center, UNCW Campus
When: Friday, March 16th | 11:00am-8:00PM
Course information Session for Questions: 12:00pm, 5:00pm and 7:30pm
Click here to get more information on packet pickup and the expo
- On-site registration will only be available at the expo if the race has open slots. Otherwise, no on-site registration will be available.
- We cannot offer refunds for this event, but you may gift or transfer your entry to another runner before February 1st. Click here for transfers or deferrals.
- The course will be closed 6:20:00 hours after the start of the event. Event organizers reserve the right to pull athletes from the course, at any time, should it appear they will not reach the finish within 6:20:00. All marathoners must be past mile 19 by 11:00am. 13:45/mile pace.
- Walking in the race is fine, as long as you reach the course cutoff.
- Please note it is unsafe to wear headphones while running. Event organizers will not restrict headphone use and leave it up to the athlete on his/ her ability to follow direction while wearing headphone devices. If you do choose to wear headphones please keep the volume level down so you are able to hear and follow the direction of course volunteers.
- In consideration of the safety of all participants, no hand cycles, strollers, baby joggers, babies in carriers/backpacks, in-line skates, skateboards, bicycles or animals on leashes will be allowed on the course. This will be strictly enforced.
- Running our marathon for the first time? Follow these running training tips to conquer our course!
- Is this your first marathon? Find out why you need a marathon training program to succeed.