Read the 2 latest emails sent to registered participants
Sent 3/24 6:35am
Reminder: You will need to know your Bib number when you pick up your packet
After you finish, you can text your bib number to (855)-980-0040 and your official result will be texted back to you
Start Address: Municipal Ln Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480
Finish/Expo Address: UNCW Burney Center: 4941 Riegel Rd, Wilmington, NC 28403
Many people ask us how to plan for the weather. Much of the planning is how in tune you are with your body and how it responds to cold, heat, humidity etc. Below we displayed the National Weather Forecast detailed hourly data (as of Friday morning) for what you should expect on course Saturday. Although unlikely, the weather can change in 24 hours so always stay up with the latest conditions as this is not an official forecast. Below is my professional opinion as a USATF Level 2 coach and race director. We always like to stress safety when it comes to racing and I hope the information provided can help you plan.
6am is your coldest hour of the day (about 51 degrees) Bring warm clothes to the start. You can check your clothing in our gear check truck, but remember no valuables or anything that you may want back. This is just a convenience offering for you. The gear check truck will be at the finish, right next to where shuttle pickup is located. All gear unclaimed by 1:00pm will be donated.
6:40am: Race Gun (52 degrees 2mph winds) Perfect!
8:00am: 1:20:00 into the race (54 degrees 2mph winds) Perfect! However stay up with your nutrition and hydrate for the next hour. Note dew points measures the amount of moister in the air, and the dew point is close to the temperature making it feel a little more moist in the morning. This may cause you to sweat more, so pay attention to your hydration. Stay up with it.
9:00am: 2:20:00 into the race (58 degrees 5mph winds) Still holding onto nice running weather. If you are in the half you are either done or getting close. Top 26.2 runners are 10 to 40 minutes away from finishing. Prepare your body for the last few miles when temps creep above 60 and the sun gets higher in the sky
10:00am: 3:20:00 into the race (64 degrees 6mph winds) With the weather we have had over the last week, 64 is going to seem warmer in the Sun. Prepare between 8:30am and 10:00am to be hydrated and keep up with your salt intake. Remember we are in the south and the sun is stronger.
11:00am: 4:20:00 into the race (70 degrees 7mph winds) Marathoners who are still rockin’ it on course. You will be most affected by the warmer temps that we expect by between 10am and 11am. PLEASE pace yourself, get in calories and pre-hydrate, which means if you are already too dehydrated by this point, it is too late. Be sure your salt intake is up and you continue to sip. My biggest mistake one year in Boston was forgetting salt in warmer temps. My heart rate went too high because my electrolytes were off. I drank plenty of fluids, but not enough Salt with those fluids. (never overdo it of course)
12:00pm 5:20:00 (72 degrees 8mph winds) This is 40 minutes before the cutoff, so most of you will be done or be close. Be smart here at this stage and enjoy pushing toward the finish. The 11am update applies here too. Take in some gels and higher calorie nutrition since you have been going for over 5 hours.
The nice thing about our course is the back half is very shaded in the cross city trail and into UNCW. Your best approach is to begin hydrating when you wake up Friday. Don’t try to hydrate all at once tonight and tomorrow morning in 2 hours. Start NOW!
For spectators wanting to bike around course to cheer on your runner. You can, just do not PACE. Bike Cycle Shop in Mayfaire offers BIKE RENTALS. If you park at Bike Cycles, you can actually ride from their store and easily get around on the course. Bike Cycles Address: 6801 Parker Farm Dr, Wilmington, NC 28405
Don’t forget: You can buy shuttle tickets, after party tickets and additional swag at the expo. First come first served. There are limited number of shuttle passes left, so if you planned to take the shuttle, you need to arrive early to buy your tickets.
SENT 3/20 9:15pm
Find your BIB # HERE
Marathon race week is here and we hope you are as excited as we are! We strongly advise you to download the athlete guide and become familiar with our race and the logistics involved, as they are very different than previous years. If this is your first time racing with us, then we can’t wait for you to experience MARATHON MADNESS! Wilmington and the Wrightsville Beach community await, so please travel safely as you make your way to our area for race weekend.
The Wrightsville Beach Marathon has a very large impact on eastern New Hanover County, The City of Wilmington, The town of Wrightsville Beach and the area residents. It takes over 30 police officers, 700 volunteers, and a committee of 30 to make this race happen. PLEASE BE AN INFORMED ATHLETE, and follow race rules and respect our area by:
- Reading the Athlete Guide
- Respecting packet pick up times
- Listening to volunteer and staff direction
- Taking care of our beautiful city & UNCW campus by depositing your trash in a receptical
- Using designated bathroom facilites only
- Plan ahead. Give yourself buffer time to get places. There are 3300 other athletes that are racing so expect waiting lines at certain places.
- Start Address: Municipal Ln Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480
Finish/Expo Address: UNCW Burney Center: 4941 Riegel Rd, Wilmington, NC 28403
- The athlete guide has great maps and information, please read through it and if you have any questions beyond what you read, please email us or ask us at the expo on Friday. We have 3 athlete meetings where we will go into more course detail. 12:00pm, 5:00pm and 7:30pm all at the Burney Center.
- There is no race morning packet pickup. If you have an emergency and absolutely have no choice and can only get your bib the morning of the race, you must fill out this reservation form by Friday at 10am..
- UNC Wilmington is a college campus. We ask you to park in the designated lots we have provided (print the parking pass to put in your dash). We will have beer at the finish, but it must stay inside the Burney Center and on the Burney Center porch. You may not carry open alcohol on campus. If you do, you will be ticketed and the race will lose it’s privileges to have beer at the finish in the future.
- We have less than 300 shuttle passes left. If you are unable to purchase a pass, then you have 2 options. You can drive to the start and park, be dropped off at the start or take an Uber or Lift. If you bought a pass, we suggest getting there right at 5:00am sharp and no later than 5:20am. The later you arrive, the more risk you are taking of not getting to the start on time. If you show up without a pass, you will not be let on the bus.
Make your experience and everyone’s experience awesome by planning ahead. This race would not happen without all of you, and we greatly appreciate you helping make this a success. We encourage everyone to show their school spirit and wear your favorite college gear at the expo and during the race. After all, this is Marathon Madness and college basketball is in full swing.
A GOOD LUCK TIP
“THERE ARE TIMES DURING YOUR RACE YOU WILL ASK THE QUESTION, WHY AM I DOING THIS? YOU MAY ARGUE WITH YOURSELF WHETHER TO PUSH HARDER OR BACK OFF THE PACE. RIGHT THEN, YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR THOUGHTS AND REFOCUS. REMEMBER HOW AMAZING IT IS TO FINISH AND HAVE A GOOD RACE. FOCUS ON WHO IS AHEAD OF YOU, AROUND YOU, OR BE IN THE MOMENT. IF YOUR WATCH IS MAKING YOU FEEL NERVOUS OR NEGATIVE TURN IT OFF. IF YOUR WATCH IS HELPING YOU STAY ON PACE, KEEP IT ON. ENJOY THIS WEEKEND! YOU ARE LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO DO WHAT YOU DO AND HAVE THE FREEDOM TO PUMP BLOOD TO YOUR LEGS AND PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER 13,100 TIMES OR 26,200 TIMES. YOU ARE WITHOUT LIMITS! EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE OF THE MARATHON!”
For best viewing use Google Chrome Browser